Young Caregivers Forums Join the Conversation I know someone living with Dementia

Started by DHenderson

I know someone living with Dementia

Hi everyone,

I wanted to create a space for anyone who knows someone living with dementia. The person living with dementia could be your parents, grandparents, a distant family member, or a friend –it doesn’t matter– let’s share our experience and knowledge with the world.

My great aunt lived with dementia – I really loved our discussions together. Our discussions didn’t really make sense but we sure laughed together. I find it is more about connecting together and being a companion than about worrying about being correct.

Thanks for listening.

Dean H
The Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  • DHenderson

Hi everyone,

I wanted to create a space for anyone who knows someone living with dementia. The person living with dementia could be your parents, grandparents, a distant family member, or a friend –it doesn’t matter– let’s share our experience and knowledge with the world.

My great aunt lived with dementia – I really loved our discussions together. Our discussions didn’t really make sense but we sure laughed together. I find it is more about connecting together and being a companion than about worrying about being correct.

Thanks for listening.

Dean H
    The Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County

kathleens

Thank you @dhenderson! I love how you phrased it as knowing someone with dementia. I think the term caregiver is a tricky one that a lot of people don’t connect to, especially young people. I know I didn’t relate to that term at all when I was a caregiver. But a lot of people know someone with dementia and we (and you) are here to support them!

I also love the memory you shared of your great aunt. Some of the most special memories I have of my grandmother were conversations that didn’t make a lot of sense, and it can be hard to share those memories with others. People assume it’s a sad memory but it doesn’t always have to be. I hope others who read this will connect with what you’ve shared. I also hope people will share their own stories or ask you questions because you are a great resource on dementia! Thank you for sharing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)