You may find that, because of your age, people might not ask your opinion or take the time to explain things to you. It’s up to you to change that.
Be assertive, but professional. Ask questions, speak up when you don’t understand or agree.
Don’t accept “you don’t need to know that” for an answer. Keep asking questions until you get answers. Keep following up if your concerns are ignored.
Do your own research
Nobody will have the time to teach you everything you need to know, and knowledge is power.
- Call the 24/7 caregiver helpline at 1-833-416-2273 (CARE) to speak to a Community Resource Specialist
- Use our live chat to find resources in your community and join the conversation in our online forum
- Search this site for information, resources and support
- Talk to your family doctor or your loved one’s physician, or other health care provider. Bring a list of your questions with you to appointments
- Call 211 or visit www.211.ca for free and confidential information about Canadian health and community services available in your area